Duke Farms Renovation
Irwin & Leighton completed the renovation of several ±100-year-old buildings for the Doris Duke Charitable Foundation using construction practices
kind to the environment, the upgrading of services using LEED® approved methods and materials, and habitat regeneration – the removal of invasive
plant species and the cultivation and planting of native species.
The Farm Barn, ±22,000 SF structure built in 1906, initially served as a stable and later as a dairy barn. The building was substantially renovated to LEED® Platinum standards. The first floor serves as the orientation center for visitors and includes a reception area, a cafe, interpretive gallery with educational exhibits, and a classroom. The second floor serves as a staff offices facility. Sustainable building features include a geothermal well field for heating and air conditioning, rainwater harvesting for non-potable water use and a 640-kW solar array.
The Orchid Range, a conservatory structure built between 1899 and 1901, and the adjacent gardener’s cottage were substantially renovated
using LEED® Platinum standards and serves as a ±13,500 SF state-of-the art conservatory and teach ing facility. Sustainable building features include
rainwater harvesting, passive solar collectors for hot water and the use of geopolymer concrete and grout.
Four ±2,500 SF former residences constructed in 1906 were renovated to create additional meeting and offi ce spaces for security, building management, and the data center. The work included structural modiﬁcations, new mechanical, electrical nd plumbing systems, and cosmetic work.
Site Improvements and Lighting
The substantial site improvements and infrastructure upgrades for the ±2,740-acre site included installation of new utilities, and restoration/ regeneration of existing lakes, native habitats and landscaping. The work also included new stormwater retention basins, rainwater collectorsf or use in irrigation, and a constructed wetland.