Duke Farms Foundation
Hillsborough, New Jersey
The project included the renovation of several ± 100-year-old buildings for adaptive reuse using construction practices kind to the environment, substantial site improvements and infrastructure upgrades for the site using Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) approved methods and materials, and habitat regeneration – the removal of invasive plant species and the cultivation and planting of native species.
The restoration of Duke Farms’ Farm Barn and Orchid Range received a 2015 25th Silver Anniversary New Jersey Historic Preservation Award
The Farm Barn — Built in 1906, this ± 22,000 SF former horse and dairy barn was substantially renovated using the LEED standards of the U.S. Green Building Council. The building houses an orientation center on the first floor with a reception area, interpretive gallery classroom, and café. Staff offices are on the second floor. Sustainability features include rainwater harvesting for non-potable water use and a field of fifty-six geothermal wells used to heat and cool the Farm Barn with radiant floor heating and heat pumps for cooling. The Farm Barn was awarded LEED Platinum certification in October 2013.
The Orchid Range — A conservatory structure built between 1899 and 1901 and the adjacent gardener’s cottage were substantially renovated using LEED standards. They serve as a ± 13,500 SF state-of-the art conservatory and teaching facility and house tropical and subtropical gardens that continue the legacy of orchid cultivation at Duke Farms. Sustainable building features include rainwater harvesting, passive solar collectors for hot water and the use of geopolymer concrete and grout. The Orchid Range was awarded LEED Platinum certification in October 2013.
Cottage Renovations — Four ± 2,500 SF former residences constructed in 1906 were renovated to create additional meeting and office spaces for security, building management, and the data center. The work included structural modifications, new mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems, and cosmetic work.
Site Improvements and Infrastructure Upgrades — The work on the ± 2,740-acre site included installation of new utilities, and the restoration/regeneration of existing lakes, native habitats and landscaping. The work also included new stormwater retention basins, rainwater collectors for use in irrigation, and a constructed wetland. A 640-kilowatt solar array was designed to supply 100 percent of the electrical power needed for the public buildings.